+44 (0) 1249 735 003 info@mobius.company

Frequenty Asked Questions

At Mobius, we aim to help you to understand the customs process.

Based on our experiences, we have compiled some frequently asked questions giving you simple answers on using our services.

If there is anything you are unsure of, our friendly and dedicated Customs Compliance team are more than happy to help.

Feel free to contact them at customs@mobius.company or on 01249 735003 5am-11pm, 7 days a week, plus on-call assistance.  

Which documents will I need for completing an export/import declaration?

For an export declaration, we will request the following documents:

  1. Commercial Invoice
  2. CMR
  3. Packing List
  4. Health/Phytosanitary certificate (this is only needed when you intend to ship goods of animal/plant origin).

Once we have received these documents and ensured they are correct and compliant, we will generate the export declaration. This will be needed to export goods from the UK into the EU and is used by the relevant customs authorities to check the purpose of the goods and whether they meet export regulations.

With regards to an import declaration, we will ask for the Commercial Invoice, Packing List and Health/Phytosanitary certificate (from 01/10/2021) to enable us to raise an import declaration.

If you have any questions of how your documents should look, please get in touch.  

What is import duty and VAT and how much will I be charged?

Import duty is a tax charged on the imported goods. VAT or Value Added Tax is a percentage of the declared value of the goods either at a standard, reduced or zero rate.

Calculating these two elements is complex and incorrect calculation can result in underpayment/overpayment and fines. However, Mobius’s customs compliance team can correctly calculate the import duty and VAT for you.

How can I pay import duty and VAT?

We will inform you how much to pay after you submit an import declaration. This will need to be paid to HRMC immediately each time you want to clear the goods. But you can delay payment by having a duty deferment account.

What information will you need from me so that I can obtain a quote for customs clearance?

To gain a quote for customs clearance we will need to know what the goods are, how many commodity codes are attributed to the consignment and the regularity of shipments.

For an initial consultation, please contact our dedicated Customs compliance team.

Do I need to commit to a minimum number of bookings?

There is no minimum number of bookings you must commit to. We provide customs clearance for both individual and multiple shipments.

What are Incoterms?

Incoterms are a set of 11 internationally recognised codes which define the terms of trade between the seller and buyers. Specifically, incoterms show who is responsible for paying and transporting the goods, who insures the goods, any accompanying documentation and required customs procedures.

Do you recommend specific Incoterms?

 As incoterms dictate who pays for various aspects of the movement of goods, it’s crucial to understand which Incoterm will best suit your operations. We tend to recommend exporting DAP, meaning your seller would need to organise the EU import. However, DDP can mean you can take full control over the sale and take responsibility for the whole export and import process.

What is a T1 document?

A T1 is a transit document that allows you to transit goods across the EU and clear them in your country of destination. Along with a T1, you will also need a Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) to accompany your goods during transit. We can create both a T1 and TAD for you.  

Are there any alternatives to transit declarations

Transit declarations are not always the most cost and time efficient way of clearing goods into the EU. Depending on point of arrival there are various EU import options such as Importing under fiscal representation (NL) or Regime 4200 (FR).

Get in contact to talk through these options more.

How do I find my commodity code?

You can find your commodity code on the government tariff service. If you don’t know your commodity codes you can provide us with some information and we will be able to find it for you.